For more than 3000 years, the Chinese have practiced acupuncture therapy. Basically, the therapy was developed in China, though it has spread across the world now. For instance, it started being introduced in Europe, then the USA, Australia and other countries gradually adapted to it.
What is Acupuncture Therapy?
This is a type of medication, which involves the insertion of extra thin needles via the skin. The needles are aimed at specific parts of the body. It is specifically used to treat condition or pain around the targeted areas. The therapy is based on the theory that an energy called chi or qi runs through the body via pathways that are referred to as meridians.
The therapy is also based on the belief that any illness is caused when something has unbalanced or blocked energy chi. For that,
Acupuncture is the process of unblocking or rather, influencing the chi in order to help it flow back into the body to achieve balance.
In some situations, the therapy might be carried along with some pressure, heat or slight electrical current.
How Does Acupuncture Work?
When you visit our Live Well Clinic at Sydney, the acupuncturist will examine and question the conditions that you are enduring. We would also need to understand your overall health. The practitioner would then examine the area of your body where the chi has been blocked, or where it is not flowing smoothly. Every acupuncture point relates to specific health conditions.
Acupoints Stimulated by Accupuncture Needles
Our acupuncture practitioner will then look for specific pints on the body, known as acupoints, in order to locate where the needles can be inserted. The number of needles and the depth of the needles will depend on your condition. The aim of the acupuncture therapy is to restore the flow of chi in the body and stimulate body’s natural healing ability. This treatment option is particularly effective in treating pain conditions such as headache, migraines, lower back pain.
The treatment would take between 15 minutes and 1 hour, differ from person to person.
What To Expect During The Therapy?
Sometimes, the acupuncturist will locate the needles all around the body; though in some situations, they might focus on a certain part that is experiencing a certain amount of pain. You just need to lay comfortably on a treatment table, and the treatment would involve the following:
- Insertion of the needles. The needles might cause discomfort as they are being inserted precisely around your acupoints. As the needle reaches to the expected depth, you might experience a slight aching.
- Manipulation of the needles. The doctor will then twirl or move the needles, when they are already in the skin. Alternatively, they may apply heat or a slight electrical pulse to the needles.
- Removal of the needles. The needles would then be left in place for about ten to twenty minutes as you remain still. You may not feel any discomfort when the doctor removes the needles.
The acupuncture therapy is used to relieve the discomfort that is related to a number of conditions. Some of the diseases and conditions treated include the following:
- Dental pain
- Low back pain. The therapy will limit the pain as it increases circulation in the body.
- Fibromyalgia. This is a condition that involves pain in the muscles, tendons, soft tissues and joints.
- Nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy
- Migraine, tension and headaches
- Asthma. The therapy helps to treat asthma as well as the inflammation found in the tubes that transfer air to the lungs, which might cause coughing or difficulties in breathing.
- Neck pain
- Menstrual cramps and labor pain.
- Osteoathritis, which is a joint pain condition that is brought about by wear and tear of joints as well as aging.
Health Benefits Of The Therapy
There are a number of benefits associated with the therapy, and they include the following:
- It can help obese patients to lose some pounds in the long run. It can act as a weight loss procedure.
- It can help to relieve stress.
- It can help to prevent low blood pressure and in turn, can help to boost the functioning of the heart.
- It can also help to enhance the sleep cycle of the patient.
Other than that, it can help to boost the overall performance of the body, as well as keeping it active.
Are There Any Side Effect?
Since everybody has a different system, the therapy would act differently. Here are the possible side effects of the acupuncture therapy:
- Organ Injury. This rarely happen, and it does when the needles are pushed too deep into the skin.
- Soreness. The patient might feel sore after the therapy.
- Bruises. There might also be bruises on the skin of the patient after the procedure.
- Drowsy. Some people experience drowsy or dizzy after treatment, so make sure you have enough rest.
- Possible Infections. In case the needles are not sterilized properly, then the patient might be infected with other diseases. This has not happened before in our clinic, and we use adequate hygienic methods to avoid this.
Acupuncture therapy session
What You Should Take Note?
Generally, this therapy is recommended to anyone who experiences number of pain and soreness in the body. Nevertheless, it might be unsuitable for people who are:
- Pregnant women. The therapy might stimulate labor and this could lead to premature delivery.
- Those with bleeding disorders. Since it will involve the insertion of needles, there might be some bruises or bleeding that would be encountered. As a result, the patient might lose more blood.
In general, the acupuncture therapy is a safe and recommended procedure, only when carried out be a certified acupuncturist. It is a procedure that can help to relieve the pain and boost the free flow of energy in the body. However, you must be checked by qualified doctor to prove that it is safe for you to undergo through the therapy.